How to make an apple pipe, banana pipe, and other fruity smoking devices
The apple pipe is a classic stoner contraption. You can’t find a pipe, there’s no bong in sight, but the apple in the fruit bowl is calling your name. It’s a reasonable solution. But it’s not just apples you can smoke out of, in fact, there are many fruits you can light up and blaze with. We don’t recommend making a habit of it, but it can be a fun way to switch up the routine or at least a good solution when you don’t have what you need.
July 21, 2022
We’ve shown you how to make a pumpkin bong before–the perfect device for a spooky Halloween sesh. But there are so many other plants you can make a smoking device out of, and we’re here to show you them now. Read below to learn how to make an apple pipe, how to make a banana pipe, and plenty of tips for making a device out of anything else you can find. Let’s go!
How to make a banana pipe
There’s banana kush and then there’s banana kush. Bananas are already ideally shaped for making a pipe, so why not make use of it? It’s really easy to do – all you need is a banana and a knife, pen, straw, or something you can safely poke into the fruit without going all the way through.
Here’s what you need to do:
First – do not peel the banana! Leave the peel on for the entire process.
- Cut the end of the banana (opposite the long stem) about an inch from the tip, exposing the fruit inside.
- Take your straw, pen (hollow it out first and remove the ink!) or knife and carefully push it through the center of the fruit, creating a small tunnel for smoke to flow. Do not carve all the way through. Stop about three-quarters of the way through the fruit, lengthwise.
- Cut or push a hole through the top where you want a bowl. It should be near the long stem/the end that has not been chopped off. Do not push all the way through. Instead, connect this hole where the tunnel you carved ends with a slight hole to allow smoke to move through without weed falling out. This is your “bowl.” The goal is for both holes to intersect slightly while maintaining their structural integrity.
- Clear out any pieces of banana or clogs to ensure a clear smoke.
- Examine your banana. Does it have the same setup as a regular pipe? There should be a hole on top to serve as a bowl, and a hole that connects throughout the fruit where the smoke travels. The hole that creates a tunnel to meet the bowl is going to serve as your mouth piece.
- Poke a hole perpendicular to the bowl piece hole to serve as a carb.
- Blow through each hole to make sure air flows through all. If it doesn’t, you need to clear more space and make sure there are no pieces of fruit clogging your banana pipe.
- Grind up some weed, place it in the bowl, and light up as you would any other pipe!
Now here’s where the fun comes in. Think about the shape of a banana. You can recreate this funky banana pipe with similarly-shaped produce. Eggplant? Zucchini? You name it. You can pipe it.
Classic apple pipe and variations
Apple pipes are the most well-known variation of the fruit pipe, and for good reason. They’re easy to make, effective, and a good conversation starter. Here’s how to make one:
- Twist off the stem of your apple to expose a natural bowl shape.
- Carve a little deeper into the dip where the stem was to carve your preferred size bowl. Poke a hole from the bowl space, going between ½ and a ¼ of the way down the apple.
- Now use your knife to carefully carve a hole-tunnel through the side of the apple, making it perpendicular to the first hole coming down from the bowl. This second hole should intersect with the first coming down, and go all the way through the opposite end of the fruit. Now you have both a mouthpiece and a carb hole.
- Grind some weed, pack it into your bowl at the top of the apple, and light up as you would any other pipe.
Making a pipe out of produce is pretty simple. Now that you have the general idea: carve a mouthpiece, create a hole for the mouthpiece and carb, and make sure air can flow between all of the parts, you can make a pipe out of many things with a bit of creativity!
Here are some other fruits/veggies you can make a pipe out of using the same methods:
- Anything else with a similar shape and ability to carve into
Notes on fruit pipes
One fun thing about using an apple, banana, or other fruit or veggie pipe is that you can actually taste the fruit sometimes when you take a hit. It’s a fun way to change up your regular smoking routine.
Don’t make a habit out of reusing your fruit pipes, though. We probably don’t have to tell you this, because the fruit will rot and speak for itself. Still, we recommend one-time use with these types of homemade pipes. One repeat use of a soggy banana pipe will tell you everything you need to know.
Ready to make a fruity pipe?
You don’t have to make a fruity pipe to enjoy all the green goods we have at our Bellingham weed store, Spokane dispensary, and other store locations. But hey, if you’re in a pinch, this guide should have you covered.
Piece of Mind Cannabis has you covered. Stop by to shop our large selection of flower, edibles, concentrates, beverages, and so much more. We’re here to answer any questions and help you have a great experience. Our Bellingham dispensary, Spokane pot shop, and other locations are ready for you to stop by and say high today!