How to Make a Weed Hot Toddy
Hot toddies are cold-weather classics, delivering comfort and soothing spices in each sip. A typical hot toddy is made of whiskey, hot water, and honey. Many people opt to add cloves, lemon slices, cinnamon, ginger, or other spices and flavors to the drink. While hot toddies are perfect for the holiday season, not everyone wants to cozy up with an alcoholic drink. We’ll show you how to make a weed hot toddy instead so you can enjoy all the comforts without the booze.
December 13, 2021
Weed hot toddy supplies and ingredients
Hot toddies are easy to make and delicious. Transforming a typical toddy from alcohol to weed-infused is an easy switch – just drop the alcohol and add a cannabis tincture in its place. We’ve adapted our recipe from this classic hot toddy recipe from Cookie and Kate.
Here’s what you’ll need for a single serving:
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tsp honey, according to taste (switch out with Maple syrup or Agave for a Vegan version)
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice, according to taste
- 1 lemon round
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Desired dose of preferred cannabis tincture
You can play around with the recipe, adding more or less of any ingredient to reach a flavor you like. There’s a lot of room to tailor your experience with your tincture as well. You can opt for a CBD tincture that will relax but not get you high, a potent THC tincture that will certainly give you a buzz, or something in between that will help you relax and unwind. Plus, you can add as much or little tincture as you like depending on the effects you want to experience.
If you’re not sure what kind of tincture to use, we recommend the Lifted tincture by Ceres. It has a 1:1 THC/CBD ratio and no added flavors, so you don’t have to worry about it clashing with the taste of your drink. Tinctures with cinnamon, lemon, or honey flavors would all work well with your weed hot toddy, too.
Steps to make a cannabis hot toddy
- Bring your cup of water to a simmer on the stovetop or in a kettle
- Pour into a cup once simmering
- Add the 2 teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Stir until the honey has dissolved in the water
- Let sit for a minute to cool off and then taste the drink
- Add more lemon or honey if needed
- If your drink is cool enough to take sips, add your desired dose of cannabis tincture and stir well
- Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick and enjoy!
It’s important to not add the cannabis tincture immediately after you pour the hot water into your cup. Give it a minute to cool off and add the other ingredients first. This is because you don’t want to scald and break down the compounds in the cannabis tincture. Tinctures are equipped to be added to hot drinks but should never be added to boiling water.
Hot toddy variations
Bored with the classic weed hot toddy? There are plenty of variations to keep it fresh. Try any of these combinations:
- Black tea: Rather than use hot water, you can add a new layer of flavor with the addition of black tea. Any tea can be used, but we think black tea is the perfect flavor combo. You can add extra cloves and cinnamon to the tea if you want to spice it up even more.
- Apple cider: You can swap out the hot water for hot apple cider instead, as well. This is a tasty, festive alternative that can really elevate the drink.
- Switch out the sweetener: Maple syrup, agave nectar, and brown or white sugar can all be used in place of honey to change the flavor of your weed hot toddy.
Or experiment with your own combinations and let us know what tastes best!
A note on drinking your weed
It can be fun and exciting to swap out alcohol-based holiday drinks for the relaxing, euphoric effects of cannabis. But if you’re not a seasoned cannabis drinker, start slow and don’t overdo it. As much fun as it may be, we don’t want anyone getting too high for the holidays.
Cannabis beverages act similar to edibles. Effects should come on anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours after consumption and can last many hours. It’s a common mistake for people to misjudge how much cannabis they are consuming in relation to their tolerance. This can lead to consuming more than necessary, getting too high, and having an unpleasant experience.
This recipe utilizes cannabis tinctures which come with dosage recommendations. This makes it much easier for consumers to gauge how much they should consume in each drink. Stick to the low end of the recommended dose if you’re not sure how the tincture will affect you. If you plan to drink more than one, dose each drink accordingly to avoid getting too high.
While it may be hard to stop, it’s a good idea to take a short break in between drinks as well to assess how you feel. This will help prevent any too-high mishaps.
Stock up at Piece of Mind Cannabis
The holidays can be stressful and weed-infused hot toddies can make it a little easier. If you’re looking for more ways to navigate the holidays with cannabis, check out our product recommendations for holiday stress.
We have everything you need to make a delicious weed-infused hot toddy at our Bellingham dispensary. Well, we have the weed part covered. You’ll have to hit the store for the other ingredients.
And if you don’t want to go through the work of making your own cannabis beverage, we have plenty of infused drinks in store. Between the infused lemonade and classic cola, you won’t go thirsty after visiting our store.
Piece of Mind Cannabis is a medical marijuana and recreational Cannabis dispensary with locations in North Spokane, South Spokane, Bellingham, and Pullman Washington as well as Anchorage, Alaska!
Stop by, stock up, and say high today!