How to Make Hash From Kief Out of Your Grinder
Grinders with kief catchers are a must-have for any regular weed smoker. Without them, you lose precious trichomes and potent resinous compounds. Don’t know what to do with all of that kief you’ve collected? We’ll show you how to make hash from kief you’ve gathered in your grinder.
March 27, 2021
And if you are using a grinder that doesn’t include a kief catcher, it’s time to switch. Every time you grind weed, you have the opportunity to collect kief for future use. Even if you don’t plan to make hash, you can throw kief into your joints or bowls for an added punch.
If you’re low on weed, a little dusting of kief can go a long way.
What is hash?
Hash is a concentrated form of cannabis made from the trichomes of the plant. Trichomes are resinous glands filled with potent cannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds. Put simply, to make hash, you need to press the delicate trichomes together until they form a solid, hardened substance that can be shaped in various ways.
Hash has a very long and interesting history. It was the first marijuana concentrate, long before shatter, budder, and other extracts we are familiar with today existed. In fact, it first appeared in Persia in the 9th century.
Skipping over years and years of history, ask any stoner who was alive before the 2000s and they’ll probably reminisce about the simpler days of hash, back when smuggling hash bricks was the easiest way to transport cannabis. Today, at least in the United States, hash is much less common. You can buy hash at Washington dispensary locations and in many places with legal weed, but it’s not the same as hash from the old days.
How do I use hash?
Hash has historically been used as you would use cannabis flower. Just smoke it and go! With the rise of the legal market and an influx of new technology, it’s not uncommon for people to take dabs with their hash or pop some in a vaporizer.
Back in the day, hot-knifing was a popular way to ingest hash. This involved heating two butter knives on a stove top and pressing hash in between the hot knives to produce vapor. Users would then inhale the vapor, sometimes through a straw or just as is, and get high.
Today, we have better methods of using hash. So let’s dive in and learn how to make hash from kief!
Simplest way to make hash: The hand roll method
Hand pressing your kief into hash is the easiest way to go because it doesn’t involve any additional materials. The issue? It’s not the most effective method and takes a considerable amount of effort to pull off.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Wash your hands or put on disposable gloves.
- Measure a small amount of kief into the palm of your hand.
- Work the kief together with both hands pressed against each other to form it into a solid piece
- Now work it together between your palms, rolling it together and allowing it to become more solid. You can roll it between your palms and your thumbs or whatever is comfortable, as long as you are applying a good amount of pressure.
- Continue to press together for about 10 minutes, when the kief should begin to change density.
- Once you have a solid ball, you successfully made hash!
How to make a hash slab with household supplies
Our preferred method of making hash requires a few household items. Here’s what you need:
- A mason jar
- Parchment or wax paper
- Boiling water
- Start by adding a pile of kief onto the parchment paper.
- Arrange the kief into a neat square in the middle of your paper.
- Carefully fold the parchment paper around your kief one side at a time. Cover the kief with each fold and cut off any excess paper. You do not need any excess paper hanging off so feel free to remove all of the edges that do not cover the kief.
- Fill your mason jar with boiling water and seal tightly.
- Place the small kief-filled cut out of parchment paper on top of another piece of parchment or wax paper.
- With oven mitts or a towel to protect your hands, roll the hot mason jar over the parchment paper filled with kief.
- Continue this motion for 5-10 minutes.
- Pop the hash in the freezer for an hour.
- Remove from the freezer and unroll the parchment paper to reveal hash.
How to store hash
As a general rule, hash should stay potent and fresh for at least four to eight months after pressing. So round up that kief you’ve been holding on to and make some concentrates for future use.
Like most cannabis products, hash should be stored in a cool dark place. The more light and heat that touches the hash, the quicker the degradation process will be and your overall product will lack potency.
Some people opt to keep their hash in the refrigerator or freezer, though you will find mixed opinions about that option. It’s certainly not a necessary step in storing hash.
Alternative option: Buy concentrates from Piece of Mind Cannabis
Whether you’re near our Spokane pot shop, Bellingham weed store, Seattle dispensary, or other location, we have you covered when it comes to cannabis extracts.
Making hash from home can be a fun experience, but isn’t possible for everyone. And if you’re seeking extracts, you may not have a stash of kief to pull from. That’s why we recommend stopping by Piece of Mind Cannabis to get everything you need!
While making homemade hash is a good use of your leftover kief, it will not be as potent as many of the products available at the dispensary. It’s more of a nostalgic option or a way to use kief that you are likely to let go to waste.
Stop by Piece of Mind Cannabis today to shop our large selection of extracts!
3 Popular Hash products at Piece of Mind Cannabis
Not everyone has a bunch of kief saved up in their grinder to make their own hash, and not everyone wants to spend the time to do it, so we’ve grabbed three of our favorite hash products to check out!
Featuring Chernobyl Full Melt Ice Wax by Legendary Laboratories
Chernobyl is a sativa-dominant hybrid that has long lasting effects. It promotes energy and feelings of euphoria. Be sure to have a favorite snack nearby, since you may get a serious case of the munchies. Add Chernobyl Full Melt Ice Wax by Legendary Laboratories to your cart and place your pre-order for pick up, today!
Featuring Himalodi Bubble Hash by Soulshine Cannabis
Himalodi is a hybrid strain cross of Himalayan Blackberry and Lodi Dodi. Balancing sweet berry and earthy kush with tangy citrus and sharp gas flavors, this strain offers a flavorful and aromatic experience for mind and body. A perfect treat at any time of the day. Add Himalodi Bubble Hash by Soulshine Cannabis to your cart and place your pre-order for pick up, today!
Featuring Lebanese Red by Sitka
Traditional Lebanese solventless hash that is aged. Add Lebanese Red by Sitka to your cart and place your pre-order for pick up, today!